It feels like months since I have written a meal plan, but it’s the Easter holidays and we have two weeks to fill our time and I need to be a bit more organised! Two of this week’s meals come from Ella’s Kitchen: The Easy Family Cookbook and have been chosen by Betsy. This book has got Boo really fired up about food, and she’s bookmarked about twenty meals and things to bake from this book!
Monday – Broccoli fritters (from Ella’s Kitchen).
Tuesday – Taco Tuesday! We’ll be using trout I have in the freezer and making a sweetcorn salsa.
Wednesday – Meatballs and mash
Thursday – Pasta and tomato sauce
Friday – Carnival curry and sunshine rice (also from Ella’s Kitchen, it’s a chicken curry and pilau rice)
Quick bonus for you – in the photo above is the big batch tomato sauce I occasionally make. It’s bloody delicious and useful in lots of things. It’ll be the sauce for Thursday’s pasta, add some minced meat for a delicious bolognaise, water it down with some stock for a soup, use it as a pizza base… the list is endless! It’s well worth making a big batch and then freezing in smaller portions. It’s something we’re rarely without.
- 3 large onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 1kg chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 big bunches basil, chopped, stalks and all.
- Heat a big glug of oil up in a heavy based pan and add the onions. Cook them long and slow so they're soft and brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further five minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika and oregano and make sure everything is well covered.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook slowly for as long as you can (at least 20 minutes). Fill up one of the tins with water and add.
- Add the sugar and seasoning and keep cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add the basil.
- Using a stick blender, give everything a good blitz.
- Check for seasoning and then allow to cool before freezing in smaller portions.
What are you cooking this week?